Link to Film
The Farmhouse Museum is located in the «Biedermann-Haus», a 16th-century wooden farmhouse in the municipality of Schellenberg - it is one of the oldest wooden homesteads in Liechtenstein.
The building‘s name comes from the Biedermann family, who lived there from 1814 until 1964. It was constructed in 1518 using the ‘block method’ of stacking logs on top of each other to form the walls, a technique typical of farmhouses built in the region after 1500. Above a brick cellar stood a two-storey living space comprising a kitchen open from the floor to the ridge of the roof, a main parlour, a small parlour and two first-floor rooms. According to medieval feudal law, the house was moveable property belonging to the tenant. For this reason the wooden beams were numbered. The «Biedermann-Haus» was moved several times, including in 1687 and 1793/94. During the relocation in 1793/94 the flat saddle roof was exchanged for a steeper gabled roof. The building was last moved in 1991-1993 in order to prevent it from being demolished.
It became a listed building in 1993, a year before the National Museum opened the current museum showing the traditional way of life in rural Liechtenstein around 1900. The «Biedermann-Haus» is also an example of typical settlement, construction and working habits in the Principality of Liechtenstein in the Late Middle Ages.