Treasure Chamber


On 31 March 2015,  a new museum unlike any other in the Alps opened its doors to the public. The Liechtenstein Treasure Chamber focuses primarily on exhibits belonging to the Princes of Liechtenstein and other private collectors.

Thanks to the generosity of the Princely Family, visitors will have the chance to admire a number of items from the Princely Collections. With over 800 years of tradition, the Princely Family of Liechtenstein is not only one of the oldest ruling families in the world but also the owner of one of the world’s oldest and continually expanding collections dating back more than 400 years. Its paintings by the Old Masters and array of arms are world-famous. The exhibition will display a selection of valuable materials, weapons, hunting knives and gifts presented by kings and emperors, such as Frederick the Great and Emperor Joseph II, to the Princes of Liechtenstein.

The museum will also showcase exhibits belonging to the Liechtenstein collector Adulf Peter Goop (1921-2011), who donated his significant collection to the Principality on 9 June 2010. Highlights include his famous collection of Easter eggs – the most diverse of its kind in the world – and in particular a selection of Russian Easter eggs from tsarist times unparalleled outside Russia. As well as the famous Apple Blossom Egg by Karl Fabergé, the museum also features bejewelled golden Easter eggs created by other famous goldsmiths such as Pavel Akimovitch Ovtchinnikov and Alexander Edvard Tillander, gold and silver Easter eggs with intricate enamel decoration, and eye-catching porcelain and glass Easter eggs from the Imperial Manufactories. Among the latter are a number of “Tsar and Tsarina Eggs”, which were commissioned each Easter by the ruling couple to present as gifts to important people.

Also on display in the museum is a selection of the “Rhine Journey” paintings completed by Johann Ludwig (Louis) Bleuler (1792-1850) around 1820/1830. Taken from the collection of Adulf Peter Goop, who during his lifetime acquired 77 of the 80 original gouaches, they depict the entire Rhine from its source to its estuary and served as inspiration for the famous engravings that were highly popular among tourists in the 19th century.

Further important objects include lunar rocks from the Apollo 11 and Apollo 17 missions as well as Liechtenstein national flags which were carried on the first and last manned flights to the Moon. These were given to the Principality as a token of gratitude for the help provided to NASA by the Liechtenstein-based company Balzers AG, which at the time specialised in vacuum technology and supplied protective coatings for the space rockets.

Last but by no means least, the display also features the original design of the first ever postage stamp issued by the Principality of Liechtenstein, created by the famous Austrian artist and co-founder of the Vienna Secession and the Vienna Workshops, Koloman Moser. 

 

     
Replica of the ducal coronet (princely crown) for Prince Karl I of Liechtenstein (1569-1627).
Originally gold with 26 pearls, 30 large and 99 small diamonds, and 16 rubies.
Frankfurt am Main/Prague, 1626.
Craftsman: Daniel de Briers.
This replica was presented to Prince Franz Josef II in 1978 to mark the 40th anniversary of his accession to the throne.
© LIECHTENSTEIN. The Princely Collections, Vaduz–Vienna.
  “Apple Blossom Egg” by Fabergé.
Gold, diamonds, nephrite, enamel.
St Petersburg, 1901.
Craftsman: Michael Evlampievich Perchin.
© Liechtenstein National Museum, photo Sven Beham
     
     
Original design for 2 Heller stamp by Koloman Moser with portrait of Prince Johann II of Liechtenstein (not realised),1912.
© Liechtenstein National Museum, photo Sven Beham
  Four small moon rocks.
Liechtenstein national flag which was on the moon.
Apollo 11, 1969.
© Liechtenstein National Museum, photo Sven Beham

     
     
“View of Vaduz” by Johann Ludwig (Louis) Bleuler.
Gouache.
Ca. 1820/1830.
© Liechtenstein National Museum, photo Sven Beham
  “Rhine Falls near Schaffhausen” by Johann Ludwig (Louis) Bleuler. Gouache. Ca. 1820/1830.
© Liechtenstein National Museum, photo Sven Beham

     
     
Wheellock pistols.
Gold, steel, gold coating; wood with ivory inlay.
Bad Mergentheim, ca. 1590.
Craftsman: Wolf Lucz.
© LIECHTENSTEIN. The Princely Collections, Vaduz–Vienna, Inv. no. WA 142 and WA 143

  Assembly of the Olympian Gods.
Ivory. Vienna, ca.1680/90.
© LIECHTENSTEIN. The Princely Collections, Vaduz–Vienna, Inv. no. SK 510 

 
     
     
Orpheus with Harp on a Tree Trunk
Silver with gold coating (except figure).
1613/15.
© LIECHTENSTEIN. The Princely Collections, Vaduz–Vienna, Inv. no. SI 98. 

 
  Perpetual calendar. Copper, gold plating; brass.
Prague, shortly after 1587. Craftsman: Erasmus Habermel (1550–1606).
© LIECHTENSTEIN. The Princely Collections, Vaduz–Vienna, Inv. no. SK 1440.

     
     
Right gauntlet from the Rosenblatt suit of armour belonging to Emperor Maximilian II.
Polished steel, etched bands in black and gold, gilded rivets, fine-plated hand and finger protection.
Landshut, 1571.
Craftsman: Franz Grosschedel.
© LIECHTENSTEIN. The Princely Collections, Vaduz–Vienna, Inv. no. WA 4310.